Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Hang Gai, Fucking Wu...



Been gone awhile. The voices in my head couldn't be ignored this time...

Fans of the all too short-lived HBO series Deadwood are familiar with the Hang Gai symbolism (which, by the way, if I misspelled, insert your favorite Swearingen quote to disparage yourself). Few things on television today are as compelling as two aging, hard edged power brokers with fear in their eyes crossing their fingers and pledging "Hang gai" to show their friendship. Mainly visual, guess you had to be there...

Over the weekend, had a Hang gai moment of my own. Drug myself away from the worker's paradise of the 12 hour days, retributions, allegations, investigations and general tom-foolery of that zany ex-wife of mine and all her good friends at Child Protective Services. Spent 8 hours making a 5 hour trip. Stopped by the regionally infamous Booked Up owned by author Larry "I Cain't Quit You" McMurtry. I can't wait until I have a string of noteable publications and screenplays in my back pocket, so that I can up to the next level of being a real horse's ass. Damn good book store though. Make the pilgrimage to Archer City and see for yourself. Plan and spending at least two days to see most of the books in inventory. Don't expect to actually see Mr. McMurtry. Oh, yeah, and when you walk into Building #1, don't ask the pretty brunette working at the cashier's desk if they have any books. She doesn't think that shit is funny, not one damn bit.

But I digress. Hang gai. Spent the weekend with most of the male folk from my graduating high school class. Engineers, software geeks, roustabouts... all mostly married, many divorced or somewhere in between. Dads, men trying to enjoy and hold on to the laste vestiges of physical prowess and confident charm of youth. I remembered mostly the cocky arrogance of small town Texas boys, and those small town Texas boys grew up to be decent, likeable men. Without exception, it was impossible to miss the softening around the eyes and the pride-filled chests when they talked about their kids. Many have been married 12-14 years, and couple have kept the same wife throughout that time period. Made me proud to have grown up with the lot of them. Also made me want to drive home and hug my children. Hang gai boys!

Started on the novel again. First draft by Christmas, roll out finished product in time for Father's Day. Pulling out all the stops to. HAve a web site reserved, will have the literary equivalent of "DVD extras", and have even struck a deal for a soundtrack for the book. Here is to hoping that Father's Day 2007 is a damn sight better than Father's Day 2006...

For all of the young Dad's out there with the frustrations, the mistakes, the self-doubt. Many of us can, and did, learn more from our fathers than we think. And those clowns that you grew up with...? Give them a call, they just might surprise you.

Hang gai... Formerly Living.

No comments: