Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Anchorage Anxiety


In a recent post, my virtual father figure gave us all a much needed history lesson about a little place called Times Beach, Missouri. The bottom-line for my Internet Pappa, is that people ought not live in known disaster areas, and then expect the rest of us to bail their dumb asses out when Mother Nature decides, and she inevitably will, to kick them in their collective nut sack. "Amen!" I thought. Call off the Google-sponsored paternity test, surely I must be of this man's click-stream.

Then, in a rare fit of putting myself in someone else's' shoes, I tried to imagine what exactly drives a person to hang on when they know that the backyard is a future swamp, fault-line, or volcano. Other than bone-drying, brain-baking heat, the regions of Texas I tend to reside in really have no weather-born predators. Too far from the coast to really be effected by Rita's sisters, too far northeast to be assaulted by roving gangs of Mexican drug dealers in search of cool tropical shirts and clean bathrooms. We do of course get the occasional little tornado, but nothing to uproot people to the magnitude of Katrina or Rita.

What then, drives this bizarre behavior? Group neurosis? Saccharine? Nocturnal emissions beyond the levels allowed by the EPA? The emergence of Krispy Kreme and Starbucks into every vestige of American society? A modern, innate shared death wish brought about by a combination of over-worked, under-recreated citizens working too hard to enjoy their lives or raise their children, mingled with a desire to simply find a better way to live in a modern South that increasingly has neither a Dunkin Donuts location, nor an independent A&W Root Beer outlet? Why are two million of my fellow Texicans turning I-45 into a south bound parking lot back into Houston, when there is no question that the greenhouse gasses from all those idling cars and burning busses will lead to another Category 5 coastal blow before the end of the season?

What is it I am missing that would make me act the same way? In a word: home.

I am not missing my home, a child hood home, nor the dumpy little house I am consigned to now. If there was one place that I would feel compelled to wait out Mother Nature, one place to disregard all of the open-letter warnings and all the obvious signs of of trouble, my heart and mind draw me back to Anchorage.

The International Airport sits on the edge of the Bering Sea, on top of land that just 40 years ago was 12 to 20 feet higher in elevation than it is now. Up until the yuletide tsunami last year, most folks had forgotten the little tremble that echoed out of the then future grave of the Valdez. As a result, miles of new beach front property were created around Anchorage, extending south to the mystical scrap of land known as the Kenai Peninsula.

It is just a matter of time before it happens again. The airport will be suitable only for water taxis and float planes. With the exception of an air carrier that shares paternity with a current NHRA team, I don't think that many manufacturers will try to put floats on a 747. Homes, shipping, businesses, historic buildings and tourist destinations will be rendered useless, save for acting as a spot to anchor one's fishing boat. People, undoubtedly, will die. Lots of people. Lots of good people.

I have looked in the eyes of the people who live and work there. You ain't gonna pull them off their mountain, our out of their streams, or away from the glacier. All of the faults and failings of modern day life, all of the unrequited desires, all of the disappointments of a job well done, are all washed away by the silent buzz of the Northern Lights. Bathing in the emotional warmth of the glacial glow of Denali cleans the soul of the soot of modern America and restores the mysterious lifeforce of a man's marrow. My commitment to the Church of the High Agnostic and the Holy Ambivalent was forever shaken by the divine fingerprint of Anchorage.

SO, my beloved greybeard, I promise that I won't complete the move to Anchorage until I have sold enough books or won a big enough lottery to support myself and my family through the next earthquake. I won't come to you with hat in hand asking to rebuild my beautiful Anchorage when it sinks into the Bering; because, once I find my mountain, I know you won't ask me to leave my home. I know you won't ask me to be Formerly Living.

[Blogger's Note: I truly do admire greybeard, and don't want any of my three devoted readers to think any differently. Read his blogs, read his comments, he is a kind, thoughtful, inquisitive soul. The world would be a much more miserable place without him.]

2 comments:

Mike Poole said...

Did I mention that Greybeard owns a helicopter business?

Not only does he have his own ride but he teaches as well.

One of the most memorable times of my short life was taking a four hour lesson with him and flying to Kirksville, Missouri, to a wealthy doctor's house.

The doctor, who was buying the helicopter I was "flying" was having Greybeard fly up to his place, land in the driveway and teach him how to fly it.

The doctor provided me with a nice comfortable place to chill in his mansion while he and greybeard practiced flying over his ample estate.

There are four memories that I will never part with until the Alzheimers sets in:

- It's not necessary to stare at the guages and squeeze the cyclic until your hand goes numb. The best flying advice I *ever* got was on that trip. "Point the nose in the direction you want to go. Pick a spot on the horizon. Fly there. Rinse. Repeat."

- Two bladed helicopters should not be used for negative G pushovers or rapid attitude changes. Something about shaving off the tail boom.

- The Illinois River valley is absolutely glorious at 500 feet AGL. The Bald Eagle population is alive and well.

Shit, that one gives me chills just thinking about it.

- There is nothing in this world that makes you feel as badass as landing a helicopter in someone's driveway and parking next to their car. Nothing... (By 'landing' I mean sitting next to Greybeard screaming like a twelve year old girl while he put the thing down on a patch of concrete that felt about 2 feet wide).

That being said... You two need to get a room!

Greybeard said...

There is NO money in flight instruction......even for helicopters.

One of the main reasons I do it at all is because of the people you meet along the way.

Aviation attracts interesting characters, who know other "interesting" characters!

Students I taught 30 years ago still stay in touch. And these people are not just "friends".....
they are blood brothers/sisters.

And Mike, whenever you are ready for that next lesson, there is a new R22 in the hangar, with a Garmin 420 gps!
Just give me a call!